Agency who can help:

Department of Public Works

Department of Public Works
Bureau of Street Use and Mapping
875 Stevenson Street, Room 460
San Francisco, CA 94103
(415) 554-5810

Apply Now

Image by Andi Fisher

Street food vendors can enliven a commercial district, help to activate the public realm, and provide jobs and services. Prospective street food vendors can apply for a Mobile Food Facilities Permit from DPW to set up a food cart or truck in the public right-of-way.

Process Overview

Street food vendors on public streets must obtain a Mobile Food Facilities permit from DPW.

See DPW Mobile Food Facilities permit page

For mobile food vendors on public and private parcels, see the Planning Department Food Trucks page

See Permit Process

Official Codes & Documents

Design Guidelines

See DPW Mobile Food Facilities permit page


Maintenance Responsibilities

If you obtain a mobile food facilities permit from DPW, you will be responsible for maintenance. Specific requirements will be described in your permit.

For a more detailed description of maintenance responsibilities, see Maintenance

Go to top of page Top of Page